Thursday, June 25, 2009

Annys Kreative Kidstuff Ideas--Toddler Hooded Towel Tutorial


Anny's Kreative Kidstuff--Hooded Bath Towel















I made this Hooded Towel for my Granddaughter Kasja while I was in Texas and thought I would share how you can make your own.

I had found two Ribbon Embellished bath towels on clearance at Shopko for $2.98 each. (Regular $24.99 each). Cost of my project: $5.96.

This is an easy beginner project.

1. Purchase 2 full size bath towels or l bath towel and one hand towel. The second towel will be used to make the hood.


2. Cut a 14 inch piece across the end of the full size bath towel or lengthwise on the edge of the hand towel cut the hood piece. By doing this, the hemmed edge of the towel becomes the front hem on the hood.

3. Fold the l4 inch rectangular strip in half, rightside together.




4. Stitch down the unfinished edge from fold to bottom edge using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Stitch again next to the line of stitching using a zig-zag or use an overcast stitch in the seam allowance to prevent raveling.





5. Flip the hood piece rightside out.

6. Cut off the bottom 1 inch on the bottom edge of the hood. Otherwise the hood will become too bulky in the seam allowance.



















7. Use a tape measure and measure the child's head add 1inch. Use a compass or find a circular object to make a pattern the correct size. I used a cereal bowl and traced it onto paper to make the pattern.

8. Find the center of the bath towel by folding it in half lengthwise and pin the shoulders and then in half cross wise to find the center front and back and pin.

9. Fold the pattern in half and then in half again, mark the shoulder marks and front and back.
Match up the pins and cut out the neck hole.

10. Fold the towel to find the center front and center back in the neck opening.

11. Then match front and back pins to find find the quarter of the neck opening. Place pins on each right and left sides.















12. Place hood piece in neck opening, match back seam to back pin, and place each side of front hood to the left and right of the center front pin.















13. Stitch hood to neck opening using 1/2 inch seam allowances. You may have to ease the hood into the opening to get it to fit. My opening was a little larger than the hood piece so I placed the towel side down toward the feed on the machine which helped it ease in.

14. After stitching the seam, set the machine to a zig zag stitch or an overcast stitch and stitch in the seam allowance to prevent raveling.

15. Clip Threads and you have a inexpensive hooded towel ready for swimming or bathtime.





Finished project.

The project can be modified to a larger size by using beach towels and a larger hood piece.









Nana and Kasja



I bought the towels to make the hooded towel long before Kristy and Chris bought their new house with the pool and had no idea that Kristy had painted the girls bathroom a pale yellow with a floral theme. A perfect match.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

What a great idea. I wish I was crafty but I am just not.

Mel said...

I don't sew, but I want these towels for my twins. I might try! Thanks for the tutorial!