Monday, February 23, 2009

$5.00 Glutenfree Dinners

For the past two months I have been learning the art of blogging and had returned to my coupon clipping and doubling days. Now that I have it down and taking the lead of $5dollardinners.com to try to cook $5.00 dinners.

I am settling down to the challenge of $5.00 gluten-free dinners. One of the disadvantages of eating gluten-free it can be expensive. I try to post one $5.00 Gluten-free meal each week. They will be able to be accessed by looking at my post subjects and I had made a heading for $5.00 Gluten-free Dinners

I will post my dinners as I try to hone my cooking skills. Yes, Yurcek kids I can cook and try new things. Who else fed you when you were small and who taught you? Yes my kids can out cook me, and I have not had the time or energy or I had too many other projects or too much cleaning to try out new recipes.

I have been recently asked by several people advice on feeding their children gluten-free and my blog will become another way for me to pass on the information.

Tonight's Menu:

My Oven Stew

1 lb of Beef Stew Meat ($1.39 lb.) We bought a 1/2 cow from another physician--hormone free
1 can Diced Tomatoes ($.69)
1 can Tomato Sauce 29oz ($.88)
1 pack Baby Carrots ($.69)
8 peeled and chopped up Potatoes (.60)
1 cut up peeled onion ($.10)
Sprinkle in a little pepper, salt, and onion powder

(I have been known to add celery, or any other leftover vegetables from my refrigerator, I especially like to add mushrooms but my husband hates them).

Put all ingredients into the Crockpot on low for 8 to 10 hours until tender or 4 hours on high.
Total $4.35

*leftovers will become Becca and my lunch tomorrow.

Garlic Bread--Glutenfree
I will use the rice bread that Becca forgot to close up instead of throwing it out. ($4.99 a loaf for rice bread but $.20 a slice)

Melt 1/4 stick margarine in microwave, than add some garlic powder
Spread mixture on slices of bread which are placed on a cookie sheet with a pastry brush
Sprinkle a little 100% grated parmesan cheese
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

and with opening a package of $.83 wheat frozen garlic bread (separate wheat cookie sheet to stop cross contamination) for Jim and Detamara we will eat under the $5.00 challenge.


Total $4.35 Gluten-free Dinner and $.83 to appease my husband and Detamara.

No comments: