Friday, December 10, 2010

Inexpensive Alternatives for AG Bitty Baby Doll Wear














Bitty Baby is dressed for Christmas!

With getting American Girl Bitty Babies for wee ones I thought I would post my favorite frugal alternative to paying $26.00 per outfit.

I buy Child of Mine by Carters Preemie Baby Sleepers in the Infant Department at Walmart. Often I will find the sleepers and other preemie wear for as little as $1.00 an sleeper or outfit on clearance. This Christmas Reindeer sleeper is only $7.00 full price.

Little girls will love the cute preemie pink ballet sleepers and appliqued pink pastel monkey sleepers which just came in. Top them off with making dolly headbands with bows for durable doll clothes.

I used a remnant of red bumpy blanket material and lined it with a red Christmas flannel to make Bitty a matching blanket. As soon as I find my hot glue gun the matching set will be finished with a red satin dot headband.

To make a Bitty Baby Blanket

Cut two fabrics 20 inches by 24 inches
Pin right sides together
Using 1/4 inch seam allowance
Begin in the center of one side and stitch around the rectangle, leaving a 4 inch opening.
(I put the slippery bumpy blanket material on the bottom to keep things from slipping)
Clip the corners
Slip and use a point turner or a pin to pull out the corners
Tuck in the seam in the opening and pin
Edge stitch the perimeter with a coordinating color
A Bitty Baby Blanket to match her Preemie Sleeper :)

And Bitty Needs Diapering


Buy a package of Huggies Preemie Diapers for $8.99. Right now they ship for FREE at Babies R Us. If you can find them in the store, use one of the many Huggies coupons to save $$. I used to ration them to make them last.

1 comment:

crzy4myfam said...

We do the same thing for our girls dolls. We buy preemie outfits when they are under $3 at walmart or if we find really nice ones at the Thrift store for under $1. Our girls love having real baby clothing!

~Rebecca